Friday, February 14, 2014

On and Off our Walls

Last week I introduced you to Helene Blanchet of Calgary and Nova Scotia, and invited you to join the conversation, sharing with me your projects, experiments, the highs and lows of what's going on in your studios.

I was rewarded with a note from Jaynie Himsl of Saskatchewan.  Her name is familiar to me from her contribution to our travelling exhibit, "Meet the Best of the West".  She writes:

What a great idea... to show our own and see each other's work. I always enjoy looking at what others are producing. 
  
With that in mind I'll send you a picture of a recent piece of mine.  I created "Genesis" out of a desire to do a quick piece using only materials I had on hand.  Abstract work is not my usual style but I was pleased with how this came together.  It's made with synthetics, metallic brocade, silk, suede and paper napkins.  The size is approx. 37" x 53"

"Genesis 009" - Jaynie Himsl, Weyburn, SK
My inspiration is a free Hoffman Fabrics quilt pattern  I started to assemble a selection of fabric but I seemed to be going on a tangent from the pattern.  I ended up using only the cutting style suggested for the wonky blocks.  The rest was determined by intuition and fabrics on hand. 
I was experimenting with this piece so it will only stay in my collection.  Now that I have details figured out, I may make another one for public show.  We'll see if inspiration strikes again.
What about you?  Do you like to take a pattern style and 'tweak' it?  Do you go completely off on a tangent?  Do you like to use "non-cotton" fabrics in your work?

Please drop me a line -- margblank AT xplornet DOT ca... include a photo (or two) and share what's "On and Off" your wall!  I'd like to make this a weekly column, but it all depends on you!

To see more of Jaynie's work, you need to visit her on Facebook.  She has her own personal page, plus her artist's page -- and she's a member of the group, "Regina Artist's Trading Cards ATC Collective".

To see her piece in "Meet the Best of the West" -- visit the Kiwanis Gallery, Red Deer, before March 2, or the Royal Alberta Museum's up-coming exhibit, "Western Threads", opening in Edmonton on April 12.

No comments:

Post a Comment